June in Missouri

Dear Summertime,
I love you.
I love you on my bike rides that make me feel like I'm far away but close to home. I like the fact that I can get somewhere using my legs like I used to. The man on the corner yells that my bike is too yellow! and to that I say, thank you, because I love how it matches with my pineapple backpack which is just missing flamingos and cherries to complete that whole summer aesthetic.
I love you for how you make me feel, like I'm awake, ducking under overgrown trees and stepping on the cracks in the road in shorts and sandals. I don't think I even mind the way my shirt sticks to my back after just a minute of being out of reach of air conditioning, feeling real heat. It's safer in the light, it's even safe enough to wear pigtails and look 17 and feel it too.
I love my Springfield summers. I love it for the fireflies that bring light when the sun is done for the day even though I'm too afraid to catch you anymore. I don't think I should catch you anyways. I'm thankful for the stars, which to my amazement, are almost hard to see, even though we live in the middle of nowhere with no smog. If I open my sunroof and look up, really take time to look, I don't just see five, I see 14, and 27, and they appear out of the dark. I feel like summer gives time to look, to smell and taste the honeysuckle that grow in the backyard. I love the music, music that could be played in any other season, it brings feelings of I'm almost invincible. I listen to the wind that plays its chimes, and the too indie bands on CD.
I love you for the kind breeze and the reason to break routine, and reason to leave my room. I can wear flowers, wear nothing at all if I want to. It's wild, like the dandelions and daisies, make a wish.
I love you the most for the green and blue that makes everything look clear and yellow, for big suburbans with broken a/c and toothy smiles, for bands and no bedtimes and endless sandal options. I love you for the gravel that sticks to my wheels.
Springfield summers are familiar, it's how I leave it and how I remember it by.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Peru a Barcelona a Miami baby

Funk

Pretty lil something