esto es pa que el diego se asuste

The walk home from school had become a pain. The distance seemed to have grown by miles. I know that it’s just the heat talking, but the sun feels like its raining down on me. The trees stand stationary, proof of not even the slightest breeze. Sighing, I walk into the grocery store to buy a bottle of water. Lucky me, the grocery store does not have air conditioning. Sweat gathers at the corners of my forehead as I walk down the aisles, trying to cool down. I brushed my long brown hair out of my face, tying it up in a ponytail. Grabbing a cool bottle I make my way to the line. But as I walk back down the aisle, something catches my eye. Not something, but someone. Tall, tan, and just my type. He looks about my age, probably older, I’m only seventeen. I can’t help to stare, and know I should just make my way over to the check out line but I can’t. I’d seen him there before, shopping for groceries. I pretend to be browsing the different types of ketchup, as I watch him out of the corner of my eye. Realizing that I am in no state to talk to a boy, as the sweat trickles down the side of my face, I make my way to the checkout line. Digging for cash, it’s my turn, and my wallet is nowhere to be found. Thinking back, I had taken it out of my backpack, leaving it on the table running late this morning. “I got it,” says the handsome stranger who I had not realized had gotten in line behind me. I try to say no, but he waves it away, and hands me my drink. “Thanks,” I say, trying not to appear too excited that he has finally noticed me, even if it was only because I forgot my wallet. I head for the door, ready to get home in the steaming heat. I hear him come up behind me, and he grabs my hand. I look up him, confused. "Yes?" He smiles, and asks me where I am going. I tell him I am going home, blocks away. He offers me a ride. Usually I would say no, actually I would always say no. But there was something in his eyes, maybe I was blinded by his beauty, but anyhow, I said "no." It may be love at first sight, but I am not crazy. I know not to trust a stranger. “Alright”, he says, backing away, and gets into his car.
      Opening my water, I keep walking home, trying not to think of grocery store boys or the humid air that keeps me company. I walk along the sidewalk, getting closer and closer to home. And then I heard it. A scream that could be heard throughout the entire city. I looked up; it had sent chills through my spine.  I realize I am in front of the biggest house on the block. The house painted gray, with ugly shingles and dirty white windows. The scream came from inside, and it made me want to run but it also made me want to go inside. And be able to see what was inside. I heard the screeching of brakes beside me, smelled the tires come to an abrupt stop. I turned, and saw him. "It's my house." He says, face white like a ghost. I want to leave, I want to keep walking. But something stops me. And this time, when he takes my hand I let him.
       We walk up to the door together. He fumbles for his keys, but the door is already open, just a crack. He pushes the door open, shakily and walks inside. The lights are off and I stay in the doorway. But the scream comes louder than the first time. He begins to run through the house, and I have to follow. He opens the door to the basement and runs down, tripping along the steps. I linger in the doorway but with a deep breath I take the stairs right behind him. Now down in the basement, which looks straight out of a horror movie. Cobwebs, mixed in with darkness, and a mess of old furniture and tools. But there is silence. Only silence. He turns to me. "My name is Bryan". Although it seems to be late for introductions, it seems that it is now or never. "I'm Lily. Why did you come down here? What is going on, who was screaming?" He shook his head. "You don't want to know". I rolled my eyes. “I bet I do, I mean I'm in a strangers basement, I am obviously curious." He smiles, and tells me to sit down. He has a story to tell me.
      "I moved into this house five years ago. Low price, it’s not in great condition. Its pretty ugly on the outside, I'm sure you've noticed. But this house is full of history. It's old, and full of secrets. And the thing that really got to me, what the legend. There is the legend of Her. She waits until no one is around. And then she screams; screams so loud it can be heard all the way down here in the basement. And when she does so, it means...” I cut him off.  "This is all a legend? That is why you came running here, like someone was dying down here in your basement?" I scoffed, as he turned serious. "This is real. You heard it, right?" I smiled. "Of course I heard it, but I don't believe in those things, in legends. And I should probably get home, I'm late, it’s hot, and." He began to interrupt but it came again. The scream, louder than it had been the first time, so loud that covering my ears wouldn't even block out the shrill scream. I began to scream, I thought my ears were about to explode, and I open my eyes because once again there is silence except for my heavy breathing. I look around and he is gone. Bryan is gone and the uncertainty of it all makes me tremble. I'm scared, and I try to climb up the stairs to the door but I can't leave Bryan. I feel a connection to him; which is probably why I ended up here in this basement. Bryan let out a sigh. "I'm here, Lily, I'm here." I looked to find him under an old table, shaking. He is scared too; I can see it in his eyes. "Finish the story, please." He took a breath and began again. "The legend is that she was trapped under here, in this basement. Since this house was built. When she screams... When she screams she is trying to escape from under this house. But it’s always just been a legend, a story. I just thought it gave the house some character. "So, what do we do? Do we help her?" He looks at me, interested. "How could we do that? Do you believe it?" I looked around the basement, trying to figure out what to do. "The legend says once we hear her scream, we would have to leave the house. And never come back. But..." I cut Bryan off. "No, come on, that is crazy. And you know it. Lets just get out of here okay? Before she screams again. Come on Bryan!" I take his hand and lead him up the stairs, and through the halls. We swing open the door, and the sun has already hidden behind the clouds.
       "How long were we in there?" I look around, confused by how the time has changed and realize my backpack has been left inside, by the basement door. I tell him I have to go back; I have to get my things. I don’t realize how I got so into this. He stares at me. "But the legend. You can't go back inside." I looked back, not knowing if he was serious. "Are you seriously not going to go back inside your house? Ever again?" He thought, hard, and realized that he could not follow the legend. He had to go back. I grabbed his hand, and squeezed. “It just can’t be true Bryan.” We both walk back in, leaving the door wide open, just in case. I go to get my things, and he stays by the door. Then I hear it, a creaking in the basement. I waved over at Bryan, at the basement door. He walked over, and the creaking got louder. So much louder that it sounded like the basement was shaking.   We opened the door, and I followed him back down, even though my brain was yelling at me to just get out of there once and for all. Once we were down the stairs, on solid ground, the noise stopped. It all stopped. And it could've been peaceful for a moment but the furniture had come to life, the cobwebs had formed little tornados, and they began to rush around the room. All I wanted to do was leave, to run, and I did. I ran up the stairs, and opened the door. I ran out of the house, into the street. It was pitch black outside, and I had left Bryan inside the house.
       And then I heard it, the scream so violent that it shook the trees, saw it move the cars from lane to lane. I looked up at that old gray house, shaking like an earthquake. People came out of their houses, to see what was causing this commotion. I felt like it would never end, but it did. I woke up on the sidewalk, unclear to where I was, what had happened. There were people surrounding me, fanning my face, talking, talking, it was all so loud. I looked up at the gray house, and saw Bryan looking out his window, starring at me.
      At the hospital they told me I had suffered a heat stroke. That Missouri heat you know. I don't believe it. I know what happened to me, and I know he knows too. The legend is real. Bryan moved out a couple days later. I never saw him again. The old gray house, the biggest one on the block, with the ugly shingles and dirty white windows stays standing. I can still remember the screams as I walk on by on my way home from school. But without Bryan, it isn’t real. And I keep walking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Peru a Barcelona a Miami baby

Funk

Pretty lil something