moveonmoveonletgoletgostopgoingbackmoveon

I CAN'T
It was the year that it snowed all winter. I worked at the ice rink, so I was used to the cold, enjoyed it even. There was a parking garage next to where my best friend and I worked. Not that special, but the thing I liked about it was that it was always empty. It had these old stairs that as you climbed up to the top, it made you feel like you were in a movie, like you were climbing up the back way, and the hope that no one would catch you made it exciting. As we climbed up the back stairs, we would laugh because we knew that no one would be at the top. It was icy that day, and we stood by the ledge, looking over our town. We could see all of downtown, and that day I wanted to see more. I wanted to feel more, to be more daring. Usually we would sit on the ledge, looking around at the people who were down below, but this time, I stood. I stood up on the icy ledge, to my best friend's surprise, and I didn't realize how easy it would have been to fall, how easy it would have been to slip. But in my head I knew, and I began to walk as my friend covered her face. I felt like the queen of the world, or I mean, of my town. There is something about that feeling, the sensation that comes with standing too close to a yellow caution line, to standing on the ledge, going where you aren't supposed to go. How a spit second could change everything, that was what I was looking for. I got down, and we continued on our way, all bundled up in our winter coats, sliding on the ice in an abandoned parking garage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

De Peru a Barcelona a Miami baby

Funk

Pretty lil something